Part Two - Nutritional Wellness
- Pre-operative diet should be started 2 weeks prior to surgery
- Reason: Following this diet helps to reduce the size of your liver and reduces your risk for possible complications.
- Diet parameters:
- Drink 1 protein drink as a meal replacement 3 times per day. NO SOLID FOOD.
- Each drink must contain 20 g of protein and less than 5 g of sugar (Refer to “Protein Shakes, Powders, & Drinks”, pg 97).
- Protein powders should be mixed with SKIM MILK or WATER.
- Each drink should be 8-16 ounces of fluid.
- Drink sugar free, caffeine free, carbonation free clear liquids between protein drinks (refer to “Clear Liquids”, pg 96).
- 24 hours before surgery, you MUST stop your protein drinks and drink CLEAR LIQUIDS ONLY.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before your surgery. See the pre-operative instruction sheet for medical instructions.
- Failure to follow the pre-operative diet may cause your surgery to be cancelled.
Was this article helpful?