Sugar-Free, Carbonation-Free, Caffeine-Free, Clear Liquids and Protein Shakes
Phase II bariatric diet may begin while you are in the hospital if you have tolerated a Phase I Bariatric Diet. You should stay on the Phase II Bariatric Diet until 2 weeks after surgery.
Types of foods/liquids permitted:
- Any protein shake that contains at least 20 grams of protein per serving and less than 5 grams of sugar (see “Protein Shakes, Powders & Drinks”)
- The preferable protein source should be whey protein. Soy based, egg based or a combination of whey, soy or egg may be used.
- Collagen-based protein sources should be avoided.
- You may use water, skim milk or 1% milk to mix powder-based protein shakes.
- Recommend using lactose-free milk at first.
Types of foods/liquids NOT permitted:
Important Nutritional Considerations
- Try to drink 4 – 8 ounces (1/2 to 1 cup) of protein shake 3 times per day (breakfast, lunch and dinner – do not skip these meals)
- The goal is to consume at least 60 grams of liquid protein per day (high protein shakes)
- Do not use milk as a substitute for protein shakes (it does not provide enough protein per serving). You can mix protein powder with milk to make a protein shake.
- Drink sugar-free, carbonation-free, caffeine-free, clear liquids in between meals
- Try to consume a total of 64 ounces (8 cups) of fluid per day (this includes any sugar-free, non-carbonated, decaffeinated clear liquids and protein shakes)
- “30-Minute Rule”: Do not drink any clear liquids 30 minutes before or after consuming the protein shake
- Always check your tolerance level and stop drinking when full
- Avoid extreme temperatures (extreme cold or hot)
- Remember to sip slowly, do not gulp, do not use a straw
- Always remember to keep increasing physical activity as tolerated (as directed by physician)
Sample of a Phase II Bariatric Diet Menu
|Morning||Decaffeinated coffee with Splenda® (without cream/sugar)|
|Breakfast||Whey protein mixed with 8 oz of skim milk (lactose free)|
|Mid-morning||8 oz Crystal Light®|
|Lunch||Whey protein mixed with 8 oz of skim milk (lactose free)|
|Mid-afternoon||8 oz low sodium chicken broth|
|Dinner||Whey protein mixed with 8 oz of skim milk (lactose free)|
|Evening||8 oz Crystal Light®|